Doctor Garbonzo

Thursday, July 28, 2005

More Tiger Memories.

I was actually studying REAL Latin that year--1968--that our corny slogan was "Soc et Tuum, Tigers!" Laugh-in was a big cultural influence, not always salutary.

Despite corny slogans, that 1968 Season was magical, and I was delighted recently to hear Ernie Harwell doing some play-by-play for the 2005 All-Star game. Ernie was the voice of the Tigers, and he was announcing Game Seven when we won it all. Ernie is about 92. He's got it: he gives the score often. I think he once said that play-by-play is all about "ball one, strike one."

Detroit is Da Toilet now, and I'd probably never go back. But one of my last memories of the area is a magical one--catching the seventh game of the World Series just as the Tigers surged ahead against the Cardinals.

I was in the locker room at Cranbrook School after football practice, and we were all changing out of our uniforms, when the Tiges won it. Northrup hit that triple off of Gibson in the seventh inning, just seconds after we got into the locker room. I remember us all cheering and whooping.

Ernie noted in a column for the Freep that Northrup's triple was one of the highlights of his career in broadcasting, which spans six decades.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home